After earning a Purple Heart for injuries sustained while flying in World War II, DRC founder Irving Eisenbaum returned to his hometown of New Britain CT, where he married his wife, Marion. The two opened several restaurants and delicatessens throughout the Hartford area.
In 1957, Eisenbaum discovered a piece of land in Torrington, Connecticut. The land was owned by a close friend, Harold Hoffman. Eisenbaum proposed a deal. If he could develop the land he would share the profits. Mr. Hoffman agreed and this became his very first shopping center development project. Soon after, he partnered with several prominent real estate developers in the area. In 1958, Eisenbaum opened DRC at Bishops Corner in West Hartford, where it would remain for over 40 years. During this time, Eisenbaum traveled to cities throughout the Northeast and Midwest, identifying opportune parcels of land and successfully developing them.
In 1989, Eisenbaum passed away, leaving the company to his children. DRC has continued his legacy, building and developing numerous shopping centers in cities throughout the country. And we are still growing.
Why? The reason is simple: cultivate long-lasting, mutually beneficial relationships with our tenants and the communities we serve. It is this philosophy that has made DRC such a huge success, and one that will carry us well into the future.